Lately I have been giving some serious thought to my maternity plan and what steps I need to take to prepare to be off work for three months when BL comes.
I don't have anything particularly brilliant completely figured out just yet, but I am putting my notes together and have had some preliminary talks with my manager, who has been very supportive since I told her I was pregnant.
Last week Stephanie sent me this article about moms going back to work, and there are some good tips for balancing work and family:
1. Telecommute one day a week, if possible
2. Put work and family appointments on one calendar
3. Make family a priority
4. Take it easy
5. Let others do their share
Some of these tips seem obvious and others may sometimes be easier said than done, but hopefully I will be able to remember and incorporate them when I begin to balance work and family after my maternity leave.
In the meantime, my maternity plan is my new project. Now that I'm pretty sure how I'm setting up BL's room, I have something new to think about as I go to sleep at night, when I'm driving to work and home, at random points throughout the day and on and on and on.
Like I said..."take it easy" is sometimes easier said than done.
Does "clean your house" fall in The Twilight Zone. I didn't see it on your list. L, Daddy
Anonymous said...
May 19, 2008 at 6:44 PM
The hardest thing (and best thing) about maternity leave is that once your plan is in action, you don't have to think about work anymore! It is hard, because I feel so connected to the LAF and I do keep in touch with everybody and check my emails to stay caught up on big picture stuff and weekly news... but I don't actually think about my daily job anymore. Whether it's being done perfectly or not, it is what it is and I'll be back in July to think about it again :)
Also, I highly recommend having Matt take some time off with you in the first weeks, if he can. When you're recovering and learning how to breastfeed and your baby starts crying, a patient and loving daddy can really save the day.
Plus, it's tough to be alone after having a baby, and those first few weeks the baby doesn't count as keeping you company. Now that she's getting more interactive and we've really bonded, Chuck can leave and we're great. But before that I really needed him here.
Amber said...
May 21, 2008 at 7:59 AM
The following books might help you out some jennifer.
The Milk Memos
http://www.milkmemos.com/
Yes, one of the authors (Cate) is a good friend of mine, but I have heard NOTHING but amazing reviews about this book from other working moms I know.
Anonymous said...
May 21, 2008 at 6:30 PM
Wow, I totally just ordered a copy of that from half.com... it looks great, and is something I didn't even realize I needed :)
Amber said...
May 21, 2008 at 9:07 PM