Today Matt and I registered Larkin for daycare at Mainspring Schools, which she'll attend beginning January 5.
We got the grand tour and Matt had a good feeling about the place, and I was pleased that I liked it just as much as the first time I visited.
We met the ladies who will be Larkin's teachers. They were very sweet and extremely open to answering all of my questions.
Matt was particularly interested in the fact that one of Larkin's teachers will speak only Spanish to her, if we want.
Larkin's class is the Sunflowers, and she will be one of 8 babies. I think she'll be the youngest of the group. Once she starts walking (seems like a long time from now!) she will become a Dew Drop until she's 18 months old, and on it goes until the Shining Stars Pre-K class of 3 to 5 year-olds.
Aside from the NAEYC accreditation, the low teacher:child ratio and the friendly, knowledgeable staff and teachers, what really appeals to me about Mainspring Schools is the fact that Larkin will be interacting with kids of various faiths, races, cultures and socio-economic backgrounds.
Right now Larkin is a teeny, tiny baby who may not pick up on the similarities and differences between her and the children around her.
But hopefully her experiences at Mainspring Schools will help instill in her the values of acceptance and tolerance and an appreciation for diversity.
0 comments:
Post a Comment