We have a beautiful baby girl!
Larkin Dorothy Long
Born on Thursday, August 7 at 1:38 p.m.
6 pounds, 12 ounces
18-1/2 inches
6 pounds, 12 ounces
18-1/2 inches
On Thursday at 1:50 in the morning I woke up thinking my water had broken. Turns out it hadn’t - BL was just sitting on my bladder and I didn’t quite make it to the bathroom in time – but I lost my mucous plug and started having what I wasn't sure were actual or false labor contractions.
According to the doctor on call, they were not regular enough to be the real deal. But yowza, did they hurt! The doctor suggested I drink two glasses of water, take some Tylenol and try get comfortable.
For the next five hours my contractions began coming closer together and became more intense, and I tried to remember what I had learned in my prenatal yoga classes about breathing through the pain and focusing on the pain and sitting in child’s pose or whatever pose would help with the discomfort. I watched lots of bad TV and finally put on Office Space. Nothing like Office Space to take the edge off.
When my movie ended my “false” contractions were 5-7 minutes apart, and I called the doctor again. He still didn’t seem convinced but said we should head to the hospital just to get checked out.
I figured we would go to the hospital and I would be told I was overdoing it and would be sent home to rest, but no – I was 6 centimeters dilated and 100 percent effaced, and BL was on her way!
The epidural was an absolute lifesaver, and before too long I was 9 centimeters dilated, then things stalled for a while until I got to 10. I pushed for just under an hour and Larkin Dorothy Long was born at 1:38 p.m.
Start to finish, I was in labor for about 12 hours. My labor and delivery was a wonderful experience – and not only because it was complication-free and relatively easy.
Start to finish, I was in labor for about 12 hours. My labor and delivery was a wonderful experience – and not only because it was complication-free and relatively easy.
Matt was incredibly supportive, which was not at all a surprise but was thrilling to see. He watched the whole thing, and every time I would finish pushing through a contraction I would look at him and he would give me a reassuring smile and let me know I was doing great.
And I did something new that I never could have fully imagined, and I’m proud of myself for being strong.
The feeling of delivering my daughter and watching Matt’s face as he saw her be delivered and having Larkin placed in my arms for the first time was absolutely amazing and miraculous.
I will never forget that moment. It was truly incredible.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Oh Jen, I'm so happy for you and Matt! Larkin is one lucky little girl. Try to get some sleep when people tell you to, though I know it's hard to leave the baby for even a minute. I'm looking forward to talking to you. Thanks for keeping the blog posted - I've been checking five times a day at least!
Anonymous said...
August 9, 2008 at 9:18 PM
Ohhh thank you for posting! I can't wait to see more pictures and lay my eyes on that little girl. Are you guys home now? Let me know if you need anything!!!
Love,
Amber & Aurora
Amber said...
August 9, 2008 at 10:22 PM
Congrats Jenn!!So happy that all went well and that Larkin is healthy, happy and home!
Daniela said...
August 11, 2008 at 12:00 AM
congrats and welcome to the world Larking! Can't wait to meet her:) You look SO great in all your photos too btw. Thanks for the updates and to your sis for sending along photos.
SportyOne13 said...
August 11, 2008 at 1:31 PM
I'm a little teary after reading that. I am so happy for you and Matt.
justicehd said...
August 12, 2008 at 3:04 PM