Remember that Friends episode when Fun Bobby stops drinking and Monica realizes he is a big bore?
Well, that's how I feel lately, like I'm Un-Fun Jennifer - not because of my lack of drinking but because of my lack of doing, well, anything outside of taking care of the baby.
Don't get me wrong, I am truly, entirely enjoying my maternity leave and being home with Layne. I love spending so much time with her, and I know I will miss it terribly when I return to work in May.
But my daily routine of storytime, tummy time, feedings and diaper changes doesn't do much for me in social settings.
Last night when I was out with friends one of the stories I told was about taking a nap. Not just any nap, but one sitting on the couch holding Layne. Seriously. This is what I choose to share about my day?
But it's my life right now. I'm tired as hell from being up in the middle of the night, even though Layne is mercifully only waking up once and I'm getting a few hours of sleep at a time. A good day is a day that includes at least one nap. Today I took two naps. Honestly, I could talk for hours about sleep.
And my daily projects, aside from caring for Layne, include closet-cleaning, thank you note-writing and Babies R Us-shopping. Oh, and let's not forget milk-pumping.
Not interesting to anyone but me.
So to my dear friends: Please don't give up on Fun Jennifer. She's still here, just a little hard to find right now.
Don't be silly, we would never give up on you. xoxo
justicehd said...
March 28, 2010 at 2:55 PM
Oh Jennifer, I feel the same way all the time! I have complete conversations with friends who I love, and afterwards I think... all I could think of to say was repeating what Aurora said today? Luckily they love Aurora and seem like they're interested in what I'm saying. But after almost 2-years, I wonder what I ever talked about before? Parenthood just becomes the biggest part of your life! Thank goodness we have friends who understand :)
Amber said...
March 28, 2010 at 9:45 PM
I honestly think that this post sums up why motherhood is such a universal experience. Once you've gone through it you can talk with anyone about these things, but until you have no one gets it. I think Fun Lisa is just starting to re-emerge, so give yourself some credit, it will come with time.
Lisa said...
March 28, 2010 at 10:24 PM
I still see Fun Jennifer and love to hear about naps, babies, first sentences, etc! You're way fun and once you get back into sleeping more than a few hours at a time, you'll start feeling better. I used to fantasize about sleeping when Sean was a baby. No sex, chocolate, girls night-just SLEEP.
As HJD said, we would never give up on you! XOXO
Anonymous said...
March 29, 2010 at 9:41 PM
Eh, it's just a phase. You're still you, you just have a lot going on. True friends won't give up. :)
Katie said...
March 30, 2010 at 11:49 AM