Daddy's Girl

Larkin is going through a Daddy phase, and I am trying to not to have hurt feelings about it.

I'm a Daddy's Girl myself, so I totally get it. Daddies are the coolest.

Especially my husband. He's just a really cool guy. I mean, I married him - so you could say that I recognize his coolness better than anyone.

But lately it is affecting my mommy self-esteem. If I can make Larkin smile, Matt can make her laugh like crazy. She follows him around the house. She sometimes reaches for him when she's in my arms. It hurts my heart just a little.

Is it something I'm doing wrong, or is just what Matt is doing right?

He has been getting up with Larkin in the mornings while I try to catch a few more minutes of precious sleep.

When Larkin and I spend time together we're often dashing from Babies R Us to Nordstrom to Central Market to Target, running errands left and right. We grab lunch with my friends at kid-friendly spots where she has to sit in a highchair.

In comparison, what do Larkin and her Daddy do together? Take Joey for walks at the dog park. Sit outside on the front lawn and play in the dirt. Play guitar and sing songs.

I'm not trying to take anything away from Matt being a wonderful dad.


I know that he and I bring unique - but equally important - strengths to our family. Larkin will surely grow up appreciating our differences and seeking us out for different types of support and love.

And I know Larkin loves us both. I know that.

Still, I want to show her that Mommy can be fun, too.

I enjoy taking Larkin to the park and swinging on the swings, so we'll do that more often. We already spend a lot of time playing with toys in her room and reading books, and we'll do more of that. Many afternoons we have dance parties after school, cranking the music loud and dancing around the living room. Dance party is super fun, not to mention good cardio exercise, and I'll be happy to do it more.

Just like her Daddy does when he holds her up high and tosses her lightly in the air (causing her to laugh the sweetest cackle I think I'll ever hear), I will also show Larkin the special ways that her Mommy loves her.

2 comments:

Aurora reaches for me when Chuck holds her, and I think I feel just as bad about that as you do about this. It's the opposite problem, but it just doesn't allow me to ever truly take a break. If I leave them downstairs together, she cries for me!

Honestly, I don't think I'm more fun, or he's less anything... we just bond and play and understand each other differently. We're still one big (mostly) happy family!

July 23, 2009 at 9:13 PM  

Of course, if it was the other way around... my mommy feelings would definitely be hurt :(

July 23, 2009 at 9:14 PM  

Newer Post Older Post Home