My first Mother's Day

"It's my Mother's Day and I'll overreact if I want to..."

That's what I sang to myself as I rang the doorbell at Larkin's not-yet-open pediatrician's office this morning at 8 a.m.

50 minutes earlier I had awoken to a high-pitched, seal-like barking sound coming from Larkin's room. I ran to her, Joey right behind me, and she was acting fine except for the strange sound.

Whooping cough?

Couldn't be - she has been vaccinated. And besides, there was no cough. Just the whoop.

I debated whether to take her in for the pediatrician's weekend hours, not wanting to be alarmist but concerned that something wasn't right, and I'm glad I did. Not whooping cough, but something else:

Croup.

So Larkin is on 3 days of foul-tasting steroid medicine (enhanced by banana flavoring, thanks to the kind CVS pharmacist) to reduce the swelling in her airway.

And that's how my first Mother's Day began - responding to my gut instincts to care for my baby girl. Seems fitting, I think.

The rest of my day has been very nice.

Matt came home from South America where he's been working for a week. Yippee! I opened my Mother's Day presents, which I love: a cute Lacoste shirt Matt got for me in Buenos Aires and a pretty ring with Larkin's birthstone that I had picked out last month and put on my wish list.

Then I put a pretty dress on Larkin and we all went to lunch at Fonda San Miguel, which was delicious as always. Fonda San Miguel has one of the best weekend brunch buffets in town. I had a mimosa and tastes of four different desserts, in addition to the yummy chicken mole, lamb chop, guacamole, ceviche, sweet potatoes, chilaquiles and more.

Larkin did well at the table eating her fruit/oatmeal mixture and puffs, although she really wanted to stand in her highchair and opted to crawl on the floor at our feet when given the brief opportunity.

Now Matt and Larkin are both napping while I knock out a few work things prior to being out of the office tomorrow. Actually, I think I'm done with work for the day so I'm going to close my eyes too...except that I just heard tears coming from Larkin's room. Someone is awake and ready to eat, then play.

What a special day. I love being a mother.

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home