The best kind of day

Yesterday after work I was hanging out with my friend Lauren and she asked me what I had planned for today, and I said that I just wanted to spend time with Larkin.

And that's just what I did.

Starting at 6:15 this morning, Larkin and I had a wonderful mommy/daughter day. We played all morning, pausing only to make a quick stop in our bedroom so Larkin could crawl on her Daddy and wake him up and make him smile.

Then we were back to playing with her toys until she got fussy and we took a nap together in the rocking chair.

We hung out for a bit with Matt and his friend James who had crashed on our couch, and then we left the house for a few hours to work on a super secret project.

Larkin fell asleep on the way home and stayed asleep long enough for me to eat lunch and sit, just sit, for a few minutes.

Then she was back up again, crawling around the house and playing with Joey and his friend Murphy who spent the day at our house. Murphy gave Larkin lots of face licks and she laughed like crazy.

We did things around the house for a while and Larkin played in her Exersaucer while I took a shower, and then we both were a little cranky probably from waking up so early and running around all day, so we took another nap together in her rocker.

By the time we woke up it was close to dinner time, and because I #1 had crankily bowed out of our plans to meet Matt at a Derby party some of our friends were having, and #2 don't have any food in the house, we went to Central Market to pick up something for me to eat for dinner.

It was getting close to Larkin's bedtime but she was wide awake and happy as could be sitting in the grocery cart. She got lots of attention because she was smiling and waving at everyone in the store.

When I had unloaded the car and put the groceries away, it was way past Larkin's bedtime and she was just starting to rub her eyes and yawn.

As I rocked her to sleep she looked up at me and smiled before putting her head down on my chest and I thought, although we didn't have any grand plans today or do anything particularly out-of-the-ordinary,

this was the best kind of day.

1 comments:

I love the face she's making. Too cute.

May 5, 2009 at 3:04 PM  

Newer Post Older Post Home