"My" weekend project

Months and months ago I ordered pink Roman shade window treatments for BL's room, and they've been leaning against the corner of the room, original packaging intact, since they arrived in the mail.

I have mentioned the fact that I need help hanging them to Matt a few times, always when we're driving in the car or eating dinner someplace or just got into bed - clearly not the best times to ask for help with a new project.

So this weekend I got to thinking: Why do I need Matt to hang the shades for me? I haven't even tried to do it myself. Maybe I could do it myself! Why couldn't I?

Enter Devon, who is the best fix-it person I know. Watching her repair Melissa's broken suitcase one night by seemingly sticking a screwdriver in the frame somewhere and jiggling things around sold me forever on her talents.

Last night Devon and I had plans to hang out. On the way back to my house from eating yummy Thai food and stopping for Amy's ice cream to save for later, I broached the idea of exploring my own window treatment-hanging abilities rather than waiting for Matt to save the day.

I'm a smart girl, I said to her. Surely I can figure it out. How proud would I be if I hung the shades myself instead of relying on Matt?

Devon reminded me of her engineering school background (she attended Rochester Institute of Technology, but she majored in diagnostic medical sonography) and suggested we have a look at the instructions together.

Next thing I knew Devon was standing on a stool in BL's room, measuring brackets and using Matt's power drill to hang my Roman shades.

I played assistant by locating the necessary tools in the garage, handing Devon drill bits and screws when she needed them, picking the perfect playlist on my iPod hooked up to speakers and generally watching with admiration while Devon did all the work. Her upper-body strength is quite impressive.

So while I may not have boosted my own fix-it self-confidence, and I truly have nothing to brag about except perhaps mentioning my project to the right person at the right time, BL's windows look absolutely adorable.

Thank goodness for good friends - thanks Devon!

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home