I haven't posted all week because I have been carrying around this tremendous guilt about scratching Larkin's face.
It was an accident, obviously.
I was nursing her and switched sides and my fingernail grazed her cheek and my nail wasn't even that long but it scratched her and she bled and cried and I cried too, harder.
The scratch scabbed over and the scab fell off yesterday and now all I can do is hope it doesn't scar.
I heard from people who love me that this kind of thing happens all the time. That baby skin heals quickly. That she won't scar. That I'm not a terrible mother.
And I got a few "child protective services"-type comments from people who didn't realize how much it hurt my feelings.
When I look at Larkin's sweet face and the bright pink line below her right eye, the guilt is unbearable. But every day that it seems to look better I'm closer to normal.
TL is healing beautifully and the tiny scratchlet clearly has not had any influence on her adorableness or her great mood!
Anonymous said...
April 25, 2009 at 4:24 PM