Never the same again

On last night's Grey's Anatomy, a young boy needed life-saving organs and his body was failing. He was hooked up to machines that couldn't help him. I watched his mother tell him goodbye. I cried like a baby.

(Spoiler alert) In the nick of time, the kiddo got the organs that saved his life. I sobbed uncontrollably.

Since Larkin, I can't watch TV the same way.

Trailers for movies like Changeling bring me to tears.

I get a lump in my throat when I see the State Farm Insurance commercial with the new dad who holds his newborn daughter in the hospital and realizes that "life is not just about him anymore."

And it's not just TV that is different.

I've always considered myself a compassionate person. But this week when my friend Bianca's sister had complications with her pregnancy and had to deliver her daughter 2 weeks early, I felt like I had been kicked in the gut until I heard that baby Madelyn was born, happy and healthy.

Now, everything in the whole wide world I see through a new lens, colored by Larkin. And I can't even remember what life was like without her.

4 comments:

I'm so glad to have friends like you who are so understanding and comforting. And, my sister knows that there are people like you who care about her even though you've never met! Thanks for being so great!

January 24, 2009 at 7:39 PM  

I am so with you. I was a mess during that show and the one episode of Private Practice where the dad risked his own life to be with his daughter when she was dying. So different now!

January 24, 2009 at 8:28 PM  

It's your hormones talking

January 26, 2009 at 10:23 AM  

So very true! Could not have said it better myself. And yes, I too, cried through both Grey's AND Private Practice this last week!

January 26, 2009 at 3:18 PM  

Newer Post Older Post Home