Kindergarten starts tomorrow. Oh my goodness. 

After many weeks of anticipation, Larkin seems more excited than nervous. Today she colored a picture for her teacher, and she eagerly packed up her backpack even though her school supplies are already in her classroom. 

I have made her lunch, washed and (mostly) folded a load of laundry including the dress she picked out for her first day, double-checked her backpack, charged my camera battery and peeked in on her sleeping twice.

Now I'm all wound up and can't sleep, so I am watching Friends reruns and piddling around online. I came across this poem tonight on one of the mommy blogs I follow, and it really touched me. 

Both of my girls are growing up so fast. Have I spent enough time "blissfully rocking" to make the most of the time I have with them?

Song For a Fifth Child, by Ruth Hulburt Hamilton

Mother, O Mother, come shake out your cloth,
Empty the dustpan, poison the moth,
Hang out the washing, make up the bed, 
Sew on a button and butter the bread.

Where is the mother whose house is so shocking?
She's up in the nursery, blissfully rocking.

Oh, I’ve grown shiftless as Little Boy Blue

(Lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo).
Dishes are waiting and bills are past due
(Pat-a-cake, darling, and peek, peekaboo).

The shopping’s not done and there’s nothing for stew
And out in the yard there’s a hullabaloo
But I’m playing Kanga and this is my Roo.
Look! Aren’t her eyes the most wonderful hue?
(Lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo).

The cleaning and scrubbing will wait till tomorrow,
For children grow up, as I’ve learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down, cobwebs. Dust go to sleep.

I’m rocking my baby and babies don’t keep.

0 comments:

Older Post Home