Today we said goodbye to Joey.
He has been sick and on medication for a heart condition for a long time, and his overall quality of life has really suffered, especially the past couple of weeks.
I will always remember the moment I saw him for the first time. All the dogs at the SPCA were barking and going crazy except for him. Joey was just smiling at me. Although I was there "just to look," I adopted him immediately. Then I took him home and he ran in circles around my apartment and showed me that he knew how to bark after all.
One day I came home from work and Joey had taken the pillows off my couch and torn them to pieces. Turns out the pillows were filled with down, and my floor was entirely covered in feathers. In his puppy phase, Joey also destroyed countless shoes, belts, books and furniture. But in my single life he was my faithful friend to whom I would come home after long days of work and bad dates. He would always be happy to see me, wagging his tail and smiling. I swear, my dog knew how to smile.
When I got married, after they got over a rocky start, Joey and Matt had a special relationship. Matt would take him for long walks at the park, and I think those were Joey's favorite times. Joey had the utmost respect for Matt and would follow him around the house and lay under his chair while Matt worked. For hours, Joey would wait patiently at the window for Matt to come home, and he would whimper and bark with excitement when Matt's car pulled up to the house.
Joey loved to give kisses to Larkin and Layne, and he would lick their faces endlessly until we made him stop. He was patient as Larkin learned to walk after him and pat him, sometimes a little too hard, and pull his tail. He would lay under Layne's crib when I nursed her or while we played in her room.
Knowing he is no longer uncomfortable doesn't make it any easier to say goodbye. He has been my puppy for 11 years, and I can't believe he is gone.
We will miss you, Joey. You were a good boy. Thank you for your unconditional love.



Jen, this just broke my heart. I am so sorry for this loss to your sweet family. I know he will be missed by all of you.Poppi and I will miss him too. xo Sadie
Anonymous said...
September 3, 2010 at 6:01 AM
What a sweet and heartfelt ode to one of life's great companions. Thank you for sharing all the wonderful photos that exhibit just how much he was a part of your family. I'm sorry you had to say goodbye to such a warm presence in your lives. Big hugs and lots of tissue. Diana
DiBerno said...
September 3, 2010 at 10:47 AM
Oh Jennifer, I am so sorry. Joey was such a sweet little guy. You gave him a great life and a happy home, and he will be missed dearly.
Amber said...
September 3, 2010 at 8:12 PM
I'm so, so sad to hear about Joey. That's heartbreaking. My thoughts go out to all of you during such a hard time.
Lisa said...
September 3, 2010 at 8:32 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your sweet Joey. You and your family are in our thoughts. Ellen (Amber's mom)
Anonymous said...
September 3, 2010 at 9:06 PM
Jennifer, I am so sad and sorry to hear about Joey. I remember meeting him in Dallas soon after you adopted him and I had to crouch in my chair with my legs up so he wouldn't jump all over me! And we always kept his picture by Chelsea's food bowl and called him her boyfriend. :-) The cherished memories of our beloved pets will always be with us. He was a very sweet boy and I know he will be greatly missed. Love, Adele
Adele said...
September 4, 2010 at 12:37 AM
So sorry about Joey. :(
Katie said...
September 7, 2010 at 9:33 AM
I'm late and just catching up on your life but I wanted to send a hug your way. I'm so, so sorry about Joey. Hope thinking of him will always bring you smiles.
steph elsea
Anonymous said...
September 11, 2010 at 8:20 PM
Oh, Jen, I am so sorry. It's so hard to lose such a special friend. Thinking of you.
natalie said...
September 17, 2010 at 11:16 AM