A while back the LIVESTRONG Challenge team was recruiting participants for a new LIVESTRONG Challenge video.
To be part of the video, I had to submit what I would say to cancer if given the chance to speak my mind. I considered it for a second, then decided others would have more impactful, insightful things to say than anything I could come up with.
Our friends at Alpheus Media produce such powerful videos for the LAF, and this one is no exception. It's...well, here it is:
A few weeks ago a group of us watched the rough cut in a conference room, and when it ended the room was silent. Tears were in everyone's eyes, including mine.
The video stuck with me the rest of the day. As I left work and drove to pick up Larkin from daycare, I thought about what I would say to cancer if given the chance to speak my mind.
Here's what I came up with:
Cancer, you took Mommy when I was a little girl who needed her. It was hard growing up without her and I still miss her.
In spite of you, Stephanie and I turned out just fine. We are happy, and together with Daddy and Phyllis and Farrell we built a strong, loving family.
I married a wonderful man, who Mommy will never meet, and we have a beautiful baby girl. In spite of you.
But thanks to you, Larkin will never know her grandmother who would have been so proud of her and would have loved her so much.
So cancer, stay away from me and my family. My little girl needs me now and will need me for a long time, and I intend to be here for her. I will continue to fight you every day, and I will make sure that Larkin grows up with her Mommy.
Oh Jen, that was beautiful! I hate that cancer took away your mom and know that she will live on in you, Steph and now Larkin. XOXO
Anonymous said...
March 17, 2009 at 12:12 PM
Jen, that was great. I'm so sad that your mom was taken from you, but so happy that you've had a great life in spite of it.
Katie said...
March 17, 2009 at 6:35 PM
Such a powerful letter. Larkin is a lucky girl and your mom is always with you.
natalie said...
March 19, 2009 at 11:25 AM