Twice this weekend Larkin and I went to Bookpeople, a wonderful local bookstore.
On Saturday we met Larkin's friend Riley and her mom Katie at Bookpeople for a special storytime to celebrate the 40th anniversary of The Very Hungry Caterpillar.
Unfortunately, my morning cut and color appointment ran long, so we missed the book reading that Katie said lasted about 30 seconds.
However, we did make it in time for a very detailed explanation of how a caterpillar becomes a butterfly, complete with audience participation by some adorable but a tad bit know-it-all kids. Then there was cake, which the kids rushed but we chose to skip.
We went back to Bookpeople yesterday because I wanted to get Larkin a new book with different textures to feel on the pages. She really likes those books.
When we went up the stairs to the children's books section, she had just the reaction I hoped she would have in a bookstore.
Her eyes got wide and she looked all around at the colorful books lining the shelves and the dangly things hanging from the ceiling.
Larkin sat on the floor and pulled books off the shelf, while I read to her and fell in love with the "touchy feely" series of That's Not My... books, published by Usborne.
We left Bookpeople with That's Not My Dolly...
and That's Not My Puppy...
And I've read them both to her twice already.
She likes to scratch the textures
Anonymous said...
March 25, 2009 at 7:30 PM