Larkin is definitely going through a transitional period with regards to sleeping at night.
She slept through the night a couple of times this week, and the other nights she was up around 4 or 4:30, awake for an hour each time before falling back to sleep and not waking up until after 7. Prior to this week, she would wake up for the day between 5:45 and 6:30.
For a planner like me, Larkin's erratic sleep habits along with my other scheduling demands are throwing me for a loop.
Attempting to coincide bottle feeds with pumping, making sure her last feeding is around 6:30 so she can go to bed at 7, all the while working around my meeting schedule at work...it's enough to make my brain go around in circles.
It has been challenging, to say the least. This may have been my hardest week yet.
The first couple of weeks back at work, I was mainly getting up to speed with everything that had happened while I was out.
Three weeks in, I think people have gotten used to seeing me around. It's normal having me at work now, so my calendar is often full of back-to-back meetings that make it impossible to pump every 3 hours without disappointing someone as I rush into their meeting late or, worse, skip it altogether.
And because breastfeeding is so important, I let it trump whatever I have going on. That means I am constantly arranging and rearranging my schedule to clear the 30 minutes I need to get it done.
It's exhausting.
And it's awkward, because I can't say this to anyone:
"Sorry I can't make/have to move/was late to/missed your meeting. I was pumping."
But it is the most important thing I can do to take care of Larkin while I'm away from her during the day. So I will continue to work at it and work at it and do the best I can.
0 comments:
Post a Comment