Larkin asks a lot of questions. She is an extremely inquisitive almost 3 year-old who is eager to learn anything and everything.
Sometimes she asks me questions to which I don't know the answers, and sometimes she asks me questions that are just plain hard to answer.
Joey is a frequent topic. Larkin brings up Joey several times each week. Every time she does, it is poignant, a little sad and always heartwarming.
Here is our conversation on the way home from school today. (For context, we had been talking about names and nicknames.)
Me: What is your whole name?
Larkin: Larkin Dorothy Long.
Me: Do you know who Dorothy was?
L: Yes. Who? I don't know.
Me: Dorothy was Mommy's Grandmommy - just like your Grandma or Sadie. I loved her very much and I miss her every day.
L: Why she not Dorothy anymore?
Me: Because she died and I miss her every day.
L: Do you wish she would come back?
Me: I do wish she would come back, but I know she can't. So I just remember her and still love her.
L: I still love Joey.
Me: I still love Joey, too.
L: I wish Joey would come back.
Me: Me too.
L: And Daddy wishes Joey would come back, too. (thinks) How did Joey get to heaven? Did he run?
Me: He just went there.
L: Did he run?
Me: I guess so, I don't know. He just went there.
L: He just went there when he died?
Me: Yes.
L: But how did he GET THERE?
Me: He flew. He flew up to Heaven.
L: With his wings?
Me: Yes, with his wings.
(L looks puzzled)
L: And Mimi's there too?
Poignant. A little sad. Always heartwarming.
0 comments:
Post a Comment