Blogger Templates by Blogcrowds

Sorry - Jul 17

This evening during Larkin's bath she was making me so mad.

I had gotten after her for being too rough with Layne, and she was being a pill. She hit me on the arm, so Matt and I told her firmly that we never hit Mommy. Then she kept making like she was going to hit me...which really pissed me off.

Hitting has been an off-and-on problem since around the time that Layne was born. It's annoying when she hits, and we respond by disciplining her and/or distracting her and/or encouraging her to use her words to express how she feels.

She continued to test her limits by kicking when I was putting on her diaper and jammies. It was so frustrating. Matt took over and when I left her room they were sitting together and Matt was speaking directly and firmly to her.

A few minutes later I was playing with Layne on the floor in her room when I heard Matt say, "Mommy, Larkin wants to tell you something."

She walked up to me and put her arms around my neck for a hug and I distinctly heard her little voice say it.

Sorry.

My heart melted. My anger faded. I told her I loved her because I always want to reassure her that even when she makes me mad, I love her.

I figure this will not be the last episode of this kind, but hopefully each time we deal with it she is learning a little more about remorse and how her actions affect other people.

1 comments:

This has been really hard for us too. I think because they are strong enough to make it hurt that it really, really irritates me too. Timeout continues to work, but we need to work on adding the sorry component too. I can definitely sympathize.

July 19, 2010 at 11:57 AM  

Newer Post Older Post Home